Real Minero 2020 Barril | 700ml
Maestro Mezcalero Edgar Ángeles Carreño first roasted the 100% Barril (Agave Karwinskii) after waiting 15 years for the plants to fully matured before harvest. He cooked the hearts of the agaves "piñas" in a conical earthen oven for several days like he does with other productions (depending of weather conditions and amount of agave is the cooking time required), than he hand-mashed the agave with a mazo and canoa (wooden mallet) before fermentation using only natural/ yeast and well water, and double distilled in Filipino style clay pot stills. Finally he let the 119 litres of this small batch production to rest in glass for 8 months before bottling and distribution.
The name "barril" comes from how the plant looks as it is somewhat barrel shaped, it grows with a shorter stem or trunk below, with a rounder, fatter shape to its body but the same bold green bloom on top. This is a classic of the broad Agave karwinskii family.
- Made by Maestro Edgar Ángeles Carreño
- Barril (Agave Karwinskii)
- Age of the plant: 15 years
- Santa Catarina Minas, Oaxaca, México
- Roasted in truncated conical earthen oven
- Fermented in open air sabino barrels with natural yeast using well water
- Hand crushed using wooden mallets
- Double-distilled in Filipino style clay pot still
- 52.2% ABV
- 119 liters produced
- Rested in glass container for 8 months before bottled