Real Minero 2018 Barril | 700ml
Maestro Mezcalero Edgar Ángeles Carreño first roasted the 100% Barril (Agave Karwinskii) after waiting 15 years for the plants to fully matured before harvest. He cooked the hearts of the agaves "piñas" in a conical earthen oven for several days like he does with other productions (the cooking time depends on weather conditions and amount of agave), then he hand-mashed the agave with a mazo and canoa (wooden mallet) before fermentation using only natural yeast and well water, and then double distilled it in Filipino style clay pot stills. Finally, he let the 119 litres of this small batch production rest in glass for 8 months before bottling and distribution.
The name "barril" comes from how the plant looks, as it is somewhat barrel shaped, it grows with a shorter stem or trunk below, with a rounder, fatter shape to its body but the same bold green bloom on top. This is a classic of the broad Agave Karwinskii family.
- Made by Maestro Edgar Ángeles Carreño
- Barril (Agave Karwinskii)
- Age of the plant: 15 years
- Santa Catarina Minas, Oaxaca, México
- Roasted in truncated conical earthen oven
- Fermented in open air sabino barrels with natural yeast using well water
- Hand crushed using wooden mallet
- Double-distilled in Filipino style clay pot still
- 52.2% ABV
- 119 liters produced
- Rested in glass containers for 8 months before bottling