Real Minero Tobalá CAPON 2022 | 350ml
A maguey is called a "capón" (castrated in Spanish) when the stalk (Quiote in Spanish) that shoots up from an agave plant when it's ready to reproduce and signals the eventual death of the agave plant, comes out and grows no more than 1 meter in height, it is cut (castrated). Once the quiote is capped, they are allowed to pass for at least 3 months before being harvested. In terms of quality, this is the highest quality in a maguey to make mezcal. Currently, and given the demand, the possibility of having a batch made only with maguey capón is rare, for this reason the distinction is made. These mezcals are usually much sweeter and more aromatic than those produced with "velilla" or "cogollito" magueys (that is, magueyes that are prior to the quiote outbreak). The maturity of the maguey is determined by the appearance of the quiote and they can be cut just before the quiote emerges or after being castrated.
This is a very special batch from wild Maguey Tobalá (Agave seemanniana) from the South Sierra region of Oaxaca that took about 12 years to mature. Same process and quality as any other Real Minero expressions using a conical earthen oven, electric mill, fermentation in sabido wood vats using only wild yeast, double distilled in clay pot still and rested in glass for one month before bottling. Only 201 liters batch made in February 2022.
- Made by Maestro Edgar Ángeles Carreño
- Tobalá Capón (Agave seemanniana)
- Age of the plant: 12 years
- Santa Catarina Minas, Oaxaca, México
- Roasted in truncated conical earthen oven
- Fermented in open air sabino barrels with natural yeast using well water
- Double-distilled in Filipino style clay pot still
- 52% ABV
- 201 liters produced
- Rested in glass container for 1 month before bottling